10.28.2008

Another reason why I love having a baby ...

This afternoon, riding the MTR home, a sullen-looking teenage boy got on the train. His hair was long and uncombed, his pants hung low, he had earphones in his ears and a scowl on his face.

Instead of his afternoon nap, Finn had had a doctor's appointment, and he was understandably on edge. But as soon as Finn started to cry, that punk teenager knelt down in front of his stroller, smiled, clapped his hands, and made the clicking sounds people make here for babies.  Soon Finn was smiling too, and this kid kept it up until we got off.

I was so thankful, not only to have someone else entertain Finn for a while, but to be reminded that we are all so much more than our looks, more complex than the identity we project, and more alike than different.

O Christ of the poor and the yearning
Kindle in my heart within
A flame of love for my neighbor,
For my foe, for my friend, for my kindred all.
From the humblest thing that lives
to the Name that is highest of all
Kindle in my heart within
A flame of love. 

(from Celtic Prayers from Iona, J. Philip Newell, Paulist Press, 1997) 

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I love this post. It is good to be reminded of such things, especially in 15 years when our own boys have this very look. I will think about this and hope he too is making a baby on a train/bus happy for a mom somewhere. :)