12.12.2009

Watch for Light banner



Done! Of course the plan was to finish it before Advent started, but as it turns out, the process of making was a good one, and I'm glad I let it take its time. The tree took considerable time to cut out, and while I cut the dark felt--the negative space--my mind wandered. I thought about cross-country skiing by moonlight in Maine, and warm blueberry muffins baked by a woman who has since died of brain cancer. I thought of a man, her husband, who taught us to "live without fear and love without reserve" even while watching his wife die.
I thought about a child learning to share and parents learning their child has cerebral palsy. I thought about families and weddings and blizzards and cozy warmth, and I thought about the God who is making the heavens and the earth and who knits all things together for good. And I thought about the Leonard Cohen lyrics:

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

No comments: